The New Year is a time for transformation. Many people make resolutions like quitting smoking, starting an exercise routine, or saving more money. However, some people decide to make very major changes. If one’s goal is to enjoy life to the fullest or spend more time with family, a career change may be a priority for 2017.
If you’re thinking about making a career change, there are some things that you need to keep in mind. First, you need to know what type of new career interests you. Second, you need to update your resume and make some decisions about when and how you will begin your job search. Third, you need to identify appropriate references. Finally, you need to prepare for the job interview.
If your resume is impressive enough to stand out above the crowd, you’re sure to land a job interview. Once this happens, you need to ask yourself what you can do during your job interview to impress your would-be new employer. Here are a few tips that will help ease your mind about the interview process:
- Do your research on the company before you arrive for the job interview
- Be prepared to discuss common topics such as strengths and weaknesses; working style preferences; career and life accomplishments
- Read up on trends in interview strategies and types of questions like those mentioned by Liz Ryan in her December, 2016 Forbes article
If you’re shy or introverted, you might also consider the following tips:
- Conduct a drive by so that you know what you’ll encounter when you get to the job interview location. Inconspicuous addresses, parking garages, and security can create hiccups that may affect your interview performance.
- Seek the help of a friend to role play or practice a job interview. Ask for feedback on your tone and body language. Along with answers to questions, both may be used as indicators of job worthiness.
- Practice introducing yourself in the mirror. If you’re not confident about your presentation, continue to practice until you feel satisfied that you’ll make a good first impression.
If creating the new you in the upcoming year includes a new career, be sure to prepare for the job search and subsequent interviews. You should spend some time learning about the companies where you submit resumes or applications. Doing so will give you the confidence you need to meet your personal goals and enjoy an awesome new career in 2017.
– by writer, Tommeka Semien
Tommeka Semien is a non-profit professional, mom of three and two extras, operator of LN2 Consulting, freelance writer and blogger at www.luckyno2.com.